Governance & Functioning
Governance and Functioning
The project CARPEM is managed by Prs PIERRE LAURENT-PUIG, MICHAELA FONTENAY and WOLF-HERVE FRIDMAN.
PR PIERRE LAURENT-PUIG: CARPEM Director
Pierre Laurent-Puig is oncology Professor at the Paris Descartes University Medical School (PDUMS). Since 2004, he is also director of the INSERM laboratory U1147 (former 775) “Medicine, Pharmacogenomics and Therapeutic Optimization” at Paris Descartes University. He works within the Department of Biology at the European Georges Pompidou Hospital Paris, where he is responsible for the Clinical Oncogenetic Unit. He is the scientific director of Cancéropôle Île-de-France.
“The three research projects developed thin the CARPEM are in close relation. The CARPEM will allow important progress in personalized medicine by integrating genetical, immulological and ethical dimensions. By gathering the different research teams, this project carried by AP-HP has a unique capacity to favour the transfer from personalized medicine to clinical practice and make it a reality for those suffering from cancer”. Pr Pierre Laurent-Puig (WebZine of APHP)
PR MICHAËLA FONTENAY : CARPEM deputy director
Michaëla Fontenay is Professor of Hematology at Paris Descartes University – Medical School and responsible of the Laboratory of Biological Hematology of “Hôpitaux Universitaires Paris Centre”.
Her research activities focused on the pathophysiology of myelodysplastic syndromes within the Inserm unit U1016 in the team “Normal and pathological hematopoïesis” at Cochin Institut.
The administrative governance of CARPEM project is handled by Aurore Hattabi for the scientific coordination and Agnès Casi for the administrative and financial side.
Yannick Ladeiro, PhD: CARPEM Secretary General
After completing his PhD in liver tumor genomics in Jessica Zucman-Rossi’s laboratory, Yannick Ladeiro joined Eric Ogier-Denis’ team to work on chronic inflammatory bowel disease. He then joined Inception Sciences in order to set up an annex of this American drug development company in Paris. At the end of this mission, he trained in project management in a start-up company (Design Your Cube) by organizing the world’s largest Rubik’s Cube competition and by validating a university course at Centrale Lille. He then led and coordinated the HTE program (Cancer Plan 2014-2019) alongside Jessica Zucman-Rossi before joining CARPEM in early 2020.
Aurore Hattabi, PhD: CARPEM Scientific Coordinator
Aurore Hattabi, graduated from the “Magistère Européen de Génétique” at Paris Diderot University, pursued a doctorate degree in hematology-oncology at Cochin Institute-Paris Descartes University.
She then worked with Pr Marion Leboyer and Dr Stéphane Jamain as Project Manager on the European clinical study OPTiMiSE.
Agnès Casi: Administrative and financial manager of CARPEM
After 17 years in the private sector in France and Quebec, Agnès Casi also worked in higher education for a few years in the Research Department of the University of Paris Dauphine-PSL, working closely with research centers and research teachers. Agnès Casi has acquired solid experience in administrative and budgetary management, HR management and project engineering. Also sensitive to the world of the Arts, Agnès Casi has been practicing the flute at the Conservatory and remains a great nostalgic of Claude Sautet’s movies.
The Scientific organization
The Director and Deputy Directors together with the Secretary General and the Scientific Coordinator manage the Steering Committee. It gathers ones a month and defines the scientific strategy, the financial management of the CARPEM as well as all the items that might have an incidence on the management of the CARPEM. Structure of the Committee :
- Patients representatives: Patrice Marvanne & Marion Lanly
- Coordinators of the 3 integrated research programs of the CARPEM
– Program 1 : Metabolism, Genetics, Immunity & Environment (Jessica Zucman-Rossi ,Guido Kroemer)
– Program 2 : Cancer heterogeneity related to tumor and host diversity for patient management (Valerie Taly, Eric Tartour)
– Program 3 : Dynamic consent and health democracy in CARPEM (Marie-France Mamzer, Mathilde Touvier)
- Representatives of the strategy of research management (Jérôme Alexandre, Frank Pagès, Stéphane Oudard, Vahid Asnafi, Benoit Terris)
- Director of Cochin Institute (Pierre-Olivier Couraud)
- Representatives of Cochin hospital, of Necker hospital and of European Georges Pompidou hospital
The CARPEM Council under the chairmanship of the Director is informed of all key events in the life of the CARPEM. The Director presents and discusses the CARPEM budget, changes in structures and personnel, new participating research teams and changes in the scientific CARPEM strategy. The CARPEM Council can make recommendations as to any subject that has been brought to debate. The members of the Council are:
- Clinical team leaders:
- Digestive cancer (Julien Taïeb, Romain Coriat)
- Lung cancer (Marco Alifano, Françoise Le Pimbec-Barthes)
- Endocrine cancer (Jérôme Bertherat, Anne-Paule Gimenez Roqueplo)
- Urologic cancer (Arnaud Mejean, Stéphane Oudard)
- Gynecological cancer (Fabrice Lécuru, Jérôme Alexandre)
- ENT cancer (Pierre Bonfils)
- Hematological cancer (Didier Bouscary, Olivier Hermine)
- Medical Oncology (François Goldwasser, Stéphane Oudard)
- Radiotherapy (Catherine Durdux)
- Nutrition (Sébastien Czernichow)
- Oncogeriatry (Elena Paillaud)
- Leaders of the 21 research teams:
- Personalized Medicine, Pharmacogenomics and optimization therapeutic (Pierre Laurent-Puig)
- Functional genomics of solid tumors (Jessica Zucman-Rossi)
- Genetics of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas (PHEO and PGL) (Anne-Paule Gimenez Roqueplo)
- Immunotherapy and antiangiogenic therapy in oncology (Eric Tartour)
- Imaging of angiogenesis and its metabolic consequences (Olivier Clément)
- Laboratory of integrative cancer immunology (Jérôme Galon)
- Apoptosis cancer and immunity (Guido Kroemer)
- Immune microenvironment and cancer (Catherine Sautés-Fridman)
- Endocrine tumors and signaling (Jérôme Bertherat)
- Oxidative stress, inflammation and cellular proliferation (Frédérique Batteux)
- Normal and Pathological Hematopoiesis (Michaëla Fontenay, Didier Bouscary)
- Oncogenesis of digestive epithelium (Christine Perret, Béatrice Romagnolo)
- Lymphocyte activation and immunological synapse (Emmanuel Donnadieu, Clothilde Randriamampita)
- Hematology and Pathology – Normal and pathological lymphoïd differenciation (Olivier Hermine, Elisabeth Macintyre)
- Medical Ethics (Marie-France Mamzer)
- Computational Epi-Genetics of cancer (Valentina Boeva)
- Proliferation, stress and liver physiopathology (Chantal Desdouet)
- Methods of therapeutic evaluation of chronic diseases (Philippe Ravaud)
- Nutritional epidemiology (Mathilde Touvier)
- Information Sciences to support Personalized Medicine (Anita Burgun)
- Metabolic diseases and comorbidities (Fabienne Foufelle)
- Oncogenic functions of beta-catenin signalling in the liver (Sabine colnot)
- Leaders of the platforms:
- Translational Research Platform & Data warehouse
- Proteomics 3P5
- Animal housing/Small animal imaging
- Pharmaceutics and Toxicology
- Vaccinal immunomonitoring
- Tumor microenvironnement
SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD
The CARPEM can rely on a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) composed of nine leading experts in cancer:
- Ana Anderson
- Lucy Godley
- Michael Karin
- Josef Penninger
- Alain Puisieux
- Arnaud Roth
- Robert Schreiber
- Frank Sinicrope
- Ma’n Zawati
They offer their scientific expertise, critical opinion and strategic research advice, as well as their worldwide recognition. The first board took place on 6th July 2013 and the second the 11th January 2016. During the second CARPEM accreditation, the scientific council met on February 20, 2020.
- an interdisciplinary experts committee
- a patients committee.
- 6 patients’ representatives
- 3 members of the research teams of CARPEM
- 3 representatives of the laboratory of medical ethics